Friday, May 21, 2010

Last day of College

I wrote this near the end of March:

Yesterday, I turned in my last research paper and the day before I took my last online exam. It feels kind of weird. I'm so used to being told what to do and when to do it. I'll be told "take these classes"--and maybe get a little freedom on which day to take them. I may end up doing some more Bible classes for the purpose of growth and a certificate, but I'm actually done with my BA degree in Liberal Studies with a specialization in early childhood studies. =) So now, I'm in this new place where I'm realizing that I can decide what I want to do now that I'm living on my own and done with my degree. Naturally I started making plans of my own:
1. Finish my last class
2. Apply to the credential program for the Fall
3. Participate in the credential program
4. Start getting TA experience

How quickly I forget that my God is in control. My last class ended this week and much has changed since the beginning of March. I find out that the Fall program for the school is canceled. My plans change:
1. Start getting TA experience
2. Apply to the 2010 summer program
3. Participate in program

I began to take action on my plan. I started to apply online for the summer program. As I'm filling out the second application (it came in two parts) I realize that they are asking for references about my past classroom teaching experiences. The only experience I have is very unique: spending time with the youth on Wednesday nights. I've done it for years, and it's a passion Christ has placed in me. All the sudden I realize that church volunteer work is not what they're looking for--regardless of hours spent. Also, since my major is in Liberal Studies, the only credential that I qualify for on paper is the multiple subject credential for teaching elementary students. Not only did they want classroom experience, they wanted it with the appropriate age group. I saw two strikes against me: church experience with the wrong age group.
I recognize that by God's grace, I still may have gotten into the program if I had applied--but I didn't.

----
May 21, 2010

UPDATE
I got an A- on that Autism paper!!! 
And now, months later, it is now May 21st and here's the plan so far:

1. Pray
2. Start getting TA experience and/or job
     -Applying online
     -Applying to the school I grew up in
     -Volunteering in a friend's classroom
     -Applying to a school close to my new home

3. Apply to other programs and summer 2011 program

4. Participate in program

And I cannot express how much the Lord is blessing us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment